I suggest you ...

bug:very low audio volume with ac3 through analog

generally, output volume is rather slow, but especially with AC3 downmixed to stereo thorugh analog connectors. I have to crank up my TV bigtime.resulting in blasting them apart after shutting down the WD.

122 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TimTim shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Yop83Yop83 commented  · 

Can also reproduce this with a CRT TV (composite connectors) with a MKV file containing an AC-3 track (firmware 1.02.07).

Something to note is that when playing the file on VLC (on Windows XP) with default settings, the volume level is a little lower than another file containing MP3 audio.
        On the computer the relative difference between the volume level of the files is less important than on the WDTV.

Could this lower volume in AC-3 tracks be due to the higher dynamic range of the format compared to MP3?

A volume slider could be an interesting fix, but it would add complexity to the UI.

Another good fix would be to insure that the line levels of the analog outputs are conform to whatever industry standard there is for that kind of output (so the volume is "equal" to other consumer electronics)...

• TimTim commented  · 

@JJ88B: thats probably because the AC3 filter settings are not correct. this is however, no reason why it should not work correctly on the WD. after all, my dvd players play the audio on an acceptable level. since we have nog volume output control even...we're stuck with superlow volume and or heart attacks when switching back to TV ;) testen om the latest .08, still not ok. hope they will fix this in future FW.

• TimTim commented  · 

update:
        I have it connected to an CRT tv with the composite + stereo connectors. Most file play fine with volume comparable to the TV channels or other sources.

However, any file with AC3 plays with a very low volume level. Doesnt matter if its an xvid, dvd iso or mkv. It also makes no difference if its 2CH or 5.1CH (so its not the downmixing of the WD that faults).

I have to crank up the volume way high...and after switching to TV i almost blow out my speakers.

• JJ88BJJ88B commented  · 

I have the same problem with my PC with AC3 audio.

• TimTim commented  · 

i have not tried using hdmi or optical though. also not sure of its only with 5.1 downmixing to 2.0 or AC3 in general. all i know theres a big difference between, say a divx with mp3 audio or a dvd with pcm audio, those seem ok (still little too low though), but so far every ac3 5.1 movie i watched was very low....this needs to be tested throughout formats, analog and digital connections, with both stereo and digital setting.

• TimTim commented  · 

man typos! slow = low, thorugh = through, sorry!

Feedback and Knowledge Base