• facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    rockrock shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  wdtvwdtv responded  · 

The current product is not capable of completely turning off the USB bus. The latest firmware (1.02.07) will spin down drives, but their LEDs may stay on, which can make it seem like the drives are still on.

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • royaroya commented  · 

The heat that the drive generates still indicates there is alot of wasted energy going through its circuitry.

This is a major oversight, of Apple Antennae proportions, luckily this isnt a mass market full of complainants ...

• WDWD commented  · 

The heat that the drive generates still indicates there is alot of wasted energy going through its circuitry.

This is a major oversight, of Apple Antennae proportions, luckily this isnt a mass market full of complainants ...

• kmcajkmcaj commented  · 

this would be nice

• shuttle2kshuttle2k commented  · 

Last time when I turn off WDTV, I heard click from my hdd drive.
        I think this would be bad to my hdd if I forgot to eject the drive

• charlysacharlysa commented  · 

This may help some people: I connected my WDTV to my denon amp "power-in" female connection. That way, I simply turn off the amp and everything shuts down (bye bye lights). I overlooked this possibility for a while, that´s why I mention it.

• SteveSteve commented  · 

Irrelevant. The HDDs already power off the heads of the units which is the equivalent of turning it off. No wear damage is caused by it sitting with its motors powered down.

Only thing I do see as a problem is the LED may cause some people "cosmetical discomfort" in which case, go get a tape and tape the little LED light so you don't see it.

• flexscan676flexscan676 commented  · 

absolutely needed !
        My USB HDD only shuts down when physically unplugged - even if the WDTV is in Standby mode.
        Another option would be a power switch that actually disconnects the unit from the supply.
        --> then there is peace....

• NincilloNincillo commented  · 

¿No podrían configurar para que si pulsamos una tecla determinada tras apagar el WDTV, este se apagara por completo?

De esta forma, tendríamos apagado rápido y completo en función de las necesidades de cada usuario.

• sci99sci99 commented  · 

my WD HDD does spin down but spins back up after a few seconds. Is there some secret to keep it in sleep mode? Or do I have to continue to unplug the HDD every night?

• METDeathMETDeath commented  · 

The WD crew said that the current device, this and a few other things lead me to believe they are coming out with a second generation of WD TV.

• calculadorucalculadoru commented  · 

Nevermind my previous rant, after resetting the WDTV to factory settings (which does not set back the firmware, for some reason) it works fine. Sorry for the fuss.

• calculadorucalculadoru commented  · 

Oh, great. 1.2.10 now doesn't power down the HDD - is anyone else having this problem? I have a 1 TB MyBook drive attached, and up until 1.2.08, once I powered down the WDTV with the power button, the drive would spin down and wait quietly there. Now it stays on and spins until I unmount it, which is something people have been complaining about for ages and STILL comes up every other release?! Grrrr. Not nice, devs, not nice at all. I don't mind that the light is still on if the drive is completely quiet, but I _hate_ it when I turn the WDTV off and not only does it stay on itself (yeah yeah, I know, it makes things faster) but also keeps spinning the HDD - WHY is this necessary, again? Why must I unplug everything to have it finally shut down? In all seriousness now - WTF?
        Sigh.
        Sorry for the rant, please point me in the direction of someone who will listen to it :|

• jphjph commented  · 

Firmware Version 1.02.07

My external hard drives do not spin down when the WDTV is powered off. For example, a WD My Passport (WD1600MER-00 4008A) spins down (following AlexSSS' advice) when my WDTV is powered off but spins up again less than a minute later.

AlexSSS stated: If you press 'stop', next 'switch off' - it's worked correctly. Checked for WD My Passport Essential, WD My Book Essential.

Release Notes for 1.02.07 stated: Added spin down function for USB drives when the device is powered down; previously spin down only occurred when a drive was ejected.

• osclageosclage commented  · 

I would appreciate if user could choice between spin down USB interfaces and power off them completely, if hardware should offer this possibility. The bad news is that admin has informed us about this HW limitation. If WD can't offer this possibility, people should move the votes from this to other topics.

• NordinNordin commented  · 

Be patient.... let wait and see...

• Lister of SmegLister of Smeg commented  · 

Sorry to point out the obvious here but if this is "planned" as stated, how come the admin has said this isn't possible?

Am i missing something?

• AlexSSSAlexSSS commented  · 

If WDTV is switched off from playback, disks don't spin down.
        It's imperfection.

If you press 'stop', next 'switch off' - it's worked correctly.
        Checked for WD My Passport Essential, WD My Book Essential.

• TimTim commented  · 

let me quote what everyone can read on the admin post:
        "The current product is not capable of completely turning off the USB bus."

• TimTim commented  · 

-sigh- almost 2k votes going to waste, since this will NEVER work on the current HW. take it off the list WD!!!!

people, please read: the WD cannot ever do this! let me say that again NEVER. so stop whining about how you need this and stuff...it has no use.

• NordinNordin commented  · 

I really need this feature as I always watch late night movie and don't want to wake up just to unplug the HDD or switch off the WDTV main power.

The spin down not work on my HDD.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base