I suggest you ...

support for more reframes on mkv files

The WD-TV only has support upto 4 reframes. Large MKV files above 12 gigs are mostly coded 5 or 6 frames. Those files cant be played because they give very choppy and blockery image.

3,721 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    elvisthepelvis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  wdtv responded  · 

The current product is not capable of supporting any more reference frames than it already supports.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • wacapou commented  · 

Can the WD TV Generation 2 and the WD TV Live play such files?

• hadi.alabdullah commented  · 

this means we have to buy the new version of wdtv when it get released !!!!

• Claudio commented  · 

Planned maybe for a new player that will come out in the future after this.
        Use your points for another idea, Enzo.

• enzo.demaria commented  · 

What does it mean "planned" ? The answer to the request is " The current product is not capable of supporting any more reference frames than it already supports" : i don't understand what wd has planned.

• TerrorByte commented  · 

Nindita Giwangkara I suggest you look at the actual encode settings.

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / <---Your video is encoded with 5 refrence frames, not 8.

• Claudio commented  · 

1080p 1920x1080...max 4 or 5 reframes?

• fred_be9300 commented  · 

> RE: (admin) The current product is not capable of supporting any more reference frames than it already supports.

bummer :-( well, at least we have a clear answer on what planned means for this issue. I wish similar information would be posted for other "planned" items

• TerrorByte commented  · 

Reframe support is dependent upon resolution, as well as other encode settings. I know for a fact that the WD presently can play 5 reframe @ 1920x804p average 17mbit bitrate file with DTS 5.1 core, as well as slightly higher for lower resolutions, such as variations of 1280x720 (1280x544 for example). I have done many test encodes and this is just about the best quality I can get it to play. However higher reframes than that are pretty much pointless, and aren't going to increase video quality very much, if at all.

• Josh commented  · 

I don't think there has ever been a clear indication whether the current reframe limit on the WDTV is the actual limit that the hardware can handle, or if it is just coded to drop support after an arbitrary limit to save resources.

• fred_be9300 commented  · 

great to see that this changed today from "under review" status to "planned". If only WD admin would comment on when it's planned for, and what exactly (how many reframes?) we can expect ;-)

• Claudio commented  · 

Reference frames up to 10 if possible.

• vargalevi1977 commented  · 

Will this serious problem be fixed soon? I just can't wait... MKV-s above 12 gigs have a perfect quality of image but I cannot enjoy them at now!

• auriga2 commented  · 

There is another post with a very similar request.
        Please see 'bug with 1080p'

Feedback and Knowledge Base